Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Take on the NAEYC Technology Survey

The Early Education Action League came to fruition as I sat with a group of colleagues at a Beach Cities AEYC Board Meeting and discussed, in horror, NAEYC's "Draft" of the Technology Statement. 
http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PS_technology_WEB2.pdf
We now know that this draft was the real deal. Nothing was changed during the process where feedback was summoned, whether online or at the NAEYC conference in Anaheim. Dozens of people voiced their opposition in the conference room and asked why NAEYC was going against American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations and their own previous opposition and a canned, "We will take that into consideration and look into that" response was given. When our Board got together, we talked about what we could do and what we should do, and in addition to our letter of opposition, http://eealeague.blogspot.com/search/label/Position%20Statement%20on%20Technology%20and%20Young%20Children
a few of us decided to break free from AEYC and form EEAL.

NAEYC never responded to our initial letter. I have also had the opportunity to get involved with another group that also vehemently opposes NAEYC's position on technology. They too have been very vocal and NAEYC appears to have indirectly responded to our concerns by creating a survey for educators on how they use technology with young children http://www.naeyc.org/survey/technology

If you have not yet participated in the survey, I would strongly encourage you to do so. I find it pretty biased. I use technology frequently in my personal and professional roles, but never directly with young children. There is no place in the survey to distinguish that. When I stated that I use a computer frequently in my line of work, the survey questions seem to assume that I do so with young children. I have stated my opposition to this on any page that allowed me to share comments or feedback. 

I am eager to see the results of this survey or rather, see if the results are ever shared publicly.

1 comments:

  1. children need us to act in their defense now. take the survey everyone. I did.

    ReplyDelete